Amazon Web Services
Developer Advocate, EC2 Container Service
2016 - Present
Backend Team Lead
2014 - 2016
Backend team lead responsible for the API powering Airtime's Android and iOS apps.
- Worked as team lead and backend architect to coordinate backend engineering efforts with client team needs and product roadmap.
- Turned a monolithic backend with poor performance and reliability into a efficient, easily extendable microservice cluster powered by an event backbone built on top of AWS SNS and SQS.
- Built an engine for dispatching dynamic push notifications to mobile devices (iOS and Android) in response to activity by friends.
- Also built a socket.io powered push service for streaming events to a mobile app to make it respond in real time without the need for HTTP polling.
Lead Backend Engineer
2011 - 2014
Lead system architect and engineer behind the API powering StoryDesk's iPad app.
- Created a subscription and payment system for SaaS customers, built on top of the Braintree API.
- Developed backend processes to optimize user's uploaded assets, such as videos, pdfs, and images, for the fastest mobile experience possible.
- Developed the proprietary engine used to power StoryDesk's real time analytics platform.
- Also designed and developed a socket.io backend service for realtime centralized control of thousands of iPad's.
2011 - 2011
Developed a book search engine supported by affiliate fees from book sales.
- Built a search engine with a plug and play architecture to integrate many public and private API's that provided information about books.
- Created a beautiful masonry design for the SERP long before Pinterest made it mainstream. #hipster
Made by Argon
2010 - 2011
Worked as a web developer with design studio Made By Argon creating many static HTML websites, including a website for VideoLAN, the makers of VLC, the most popular open source video players in the world.
2008 - 2010
Worked as a freelance web consultant doing varied work such as developing WordPress blog designs for many popular, high traffic blogs, administrating large online forums, and creating Google Blogger plugins.